Monday 18 July 2011

I can see clearly now...

So this morning we had our last ever Korean lesson and after over two weeks of being immersed in the culture and what feels like hours and hours of lessons the only complete sentence I can remember other than 'I am from England' is 'I am eating my rice.' And the words: dog, toilet, restaurant and bag. All useful of course.

We then had a presentation from a representative of the British Council, which has confirmed my idea of becoming an English teacher in Korea. I've just fallen in love with the place. The people. Their culture. Their desire to succeed. And the fact that the shopping and public transport has nothing on the UK (I was lucky enough to visit the world's largest department store yesterday). I also want to teach everyone that England, Scotland and Wales are indeed three separate countries and no, we don't all wear bowler hats and carry round umbrellas and speak like a BBC newsreader which seems to be the general perception here.

We then had an early finish so I had chance to head to a nearby opticians, aptly named 'Eye love you' to get myself a new pair of gigs. I'm sorry Specsavers but you've just been owned. Four of us managed to walk in without an appointment and see an optometrist immediately before having our chosen pair of glasses made up in less than 20 mins. I think actually choosing the pair of glasses from the hundreds available was the most time consuming! And the best part, all of this was unbelievably cheap compared to the UK (and America and Australia by the sounds of things seen as the majority of people in my class needing specs have got some from the same store), even though I had to pay more for my lenses as I'm practically blind. Fail.
So what do you think? Pretty geeky huh? Haha.
Until next time,
EmJx

No comments:

Post a Comment