Sunday 17 July 2011

Living for the weekend!

Wow, so this weekend's been pretty special. I guess it kinda started on Friday morning when we had a day off school to go visit Gyeongju, an ancient city full of Temples, ancient ruins and archaeological sites. It was so peaceful and beautiful and I even got to kiss the 'Golden Pig' - a symbol of wealth (hence piggy banks). Apparently your meant to stroke him to bring money and prosperity, so maybe by giving him a big juicy one I should be well in the money!
We were then treated to an amazing lunch in the cutest restaurant (although the whole sitting on the floor crossed legged is playing havoc with my messed up knees) and even got to decorate our own traditional fans in the afternoon, although I'm not going to show a picture of mine as it's just embarrassing compared to some people's amazing creations haha. In the evening, we headed to Club Maktum for a girly night out, an underground nightclub that puts Occy to absolute shame! Although a little pricier than other places, we were given fans, a free drink and ginormous glowsticks on entry and the DJ set was pretty amazing. It was also the American girls' first time in a club (as they're not 21 yet) so I was super excited to take them! Unfortunately I left my camera in the taxi though and can't pick it up from the depot til Monday, but at least I'm getting it back. Everyone in Korea's just so honest (although I guess my brand new camera for the trip would already seem a bit ancient to them and not worth pinching haha)!
It was then back to the university halls to make the curfew (if you're not back by 2am they'll lock you out until the morning :|) before heading off on my homestay program on the Saturday morning. This is a program offered by Pukyong National University that allows international students the chance to experience 'real life' in Korea.
Thankfully I'd already met my homestay buddy, SooJin (above), before heading to her parents' apartment not too far from the university and we got on really well. Her Mum was adorable (although she didn't speak a word of English) and taught me how to make kimbap, a sort of Korean sushi made with seaweed and rice but with vegetables, egg, ham and crab-meat and ham instead of raw fish, that we took for a picnic by the beach with her boyfriend (who thankfully did speak English) before visiting the APEC house. In the evening, we went up Mount Hwangryeong to enjoy the views of the city at night, although I don't think the picture I pinched off someone else's blog does it justice. It was absolutely breath-taking, especially Gwangan Bridge (the longest bridge in Korea) all lit up and the full moon reflecting on the water. I think I'm going soppy in my old age!
The next morning, after a cheeky lie-in, we headed to Shinsegae, the largest department store in the world! The place was phenomenal and I could have spent all day in there although we'd just popped in so I could get a bikini and make the most of the 30 degree heat and summer sun on Haeundae beach. We hired some floats and had a fantastic afternoon with some our friends from the program, although the water was still pretty chilly despite the weather!

Once we were home, a couple of the girls and I headed for pizza where they were showing the day’s news. And guess what... the beach we'd been at was featured (we had no idea what they were saying but we assumed it was to do with how busy it had been that afternoon). The picture below gives you an idea of how crazy it gets over the summer. In fact, last year the beach broke the world record for the number of umbrellas on a beach at one time! Unfortunately we didn't manage to make it in to the background of the Korean news report but at least we had an amazing afternoon :)

But for now, bed as I'm exhausted. Again. Buona notte folks :)
EmJx

No comments:

Post a Comment