Wednesday 3 August 2011

A short explanation...

So I've recently had a lot of people telling me they've read my blog and seen the pictures I've uploaded to my facebook account but have no idea what I was doing in Korea or why so I though it's probably time I explain now I have the chance...

I was basically awarded a scholarship along with one other guy from my university in North Wales to represent the UK and study in South Korea for three weeks on a 'Cultural Exchange' programme at Pukyong National University (PKNU) in Busan. The programme involved 31 international students and 35 Korean students (there should have been an equal number as we were all partnered off but unfortunately one of the universities had to drop out). According to the uni's brochure, the programme aimed to "encourage students to extend their diverse cultural understanding as well as develop language skills. Participants can broaden their knowledge by exploring Korean culture through living experience, lectures, visits, and activities with partner students."

AND IT WAS AMAZING!

Before I set off I had no idea what to expect as I'd been away the two weeks prior to flying (without the internet - sob!) and had little time to do any research. I was just so excited to be travelling again, especially seeing as all my flights, accommodation (in the university halls), tuition and activities were paid for!

So, once the programme all kicked off we were treated to Korean language classes, special lectures about the culture (very interesting), history (quite interesting) economy (not as interesting) as well as various different activities, home-stays and field trips, all of which you can read about below (shameless plug aha)! My buddy, Jooyoung Lee was fantastic as were all of the people from all over the world that I met on the course. I have been so fortunate to have had this opportunity and didn't want to leave, but will hopefully be returning in a couple of years as a fully qualified TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teacher.

Hope this has cleared things up a bit for those who were in the dark!
Until next time,
EmJx

No comments:

Post a Comment