Friday 20 March 2020

To school or not to school...

24th February, 2nd March, 16th March... every time I get an email from HR I anticipate another delay. Some teachers were hopeful and thinking we would be back to school now, but as we end up the sixth week of online teaching, I do start to wonder if we'll be back at all before the end of the year.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me. When Hong Kong announced back at the beginning of February that they wouldn't be going back to school until at least mid-March, and then 20th April, I guessed we'd be going back much later than that. After all, they've had much fewer cases than in the mainland.

Then on Tuesday, Hong Kong’s Chief Executive, Carrie Lam, announced that schools will not be able to reopen on 20th April, as previously planned. With 7 million people, Hong Kong still has fewer than 170 cases and four deaths, and 38 people still in treatment. Whilst some other provinces in China are hoping to go back soon, in Beijing we currently have a total of 479 cases, with 8 deaths and 92 people still in treatment. Let's face facts, with a population of 21.5 million people, and the number of imported cases now increasing, we're not going anywhere.

I might invest in a decent office chair. I've heard Ikea is quite quiet as of late. Probably because no one can go for a cheeky nap or game of cards in one of their showrooms anymore.

Crime scene or a new shopping experience?
Make yourself comfortable doggos, I'm going to be here a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment