Tuesday 24 March 2020

Happy Mother’s Day, Teacher?

Yesterday was Mother’s Day in the UK, and whilst I didn’t get to see my Mum in person, I was able to video call her with my bro, and revel in the fact that I’m such a bloody good organiser - leaving my Mum’s Mother’s Day present and card with Dad when I was home at Christmas.

I’d sent an email in the evening to the parents, thanking all the Mums, Grandmas and Aunties for their support along with the weekly guided reading timetable. I’d got a couple of thank-yous back, which is always appreciated, but today, when I opened my school email, I also got a “Happy Mother’s Day Miss Emma. We love you,” kind of email.

I’ve tried to be pretty chill about the whole online teaching thing - I actually quite enjoy video calls in my slippers and marking with Mao on my lap (and the mute feature on Zoom is a lifesaver!), but that email just broke me. I sobbed. Someone really should invent some kind of emotional-content-filter system on computers for women on special days, and especially at certain times of the month. I’m already fearful to go on Youtube in case I’m recommended a sad dog rescue video. I might not get out of bed for the next few days.

With 10 new cases yesterday, it’s probably going to be at least another 28 days until we go back to school, and I somehow don’t think the new cases are about to drop to zero from today. I often wonder whether I’ll be able to see my students before the end of the school year...  I sure hope so!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mums, especially mine, and always remembering my Gran x

As of March 23rd:
1,420 unwatched YouTube videos on my 'to watch later' playlist (avoiding it like the virus)
405 unread emails.
7 unread paper books (+ 1 kindle).
4 dogs and a hamster.
198 episodes of Friends left to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment